Tuesday, May 13, 2014

In Which A Teenager Is Thrown A Pretty Epic Party

Friday, we reached a milestone with Zachary.  Kurtis and I are officially now the parents of a teenager.  Kurtis has decided that after thirteen, I should no longer have to throw birthday parties for our children.  They can still have them, I just don't have to plan them.  It's on the child now.  Which is a stress reliever for me.  We'll still help them, but they are in charge and I don't have to plan games or activities for the kids to do any more.  Whew.
This year, though, I had to make Zach's party very low key.  I had to make it as easy for me as possible because I had a show to get ready for, too.  While I was planning Riley's Doctor Who party last October, Zach told me he wanted a Minecraft party.  So I did my best to make that happen.

I made cool invitations.

It's a Creeper face.  In the game, they sneak up behind you and blow themselves and all your stuff up.  Nobody likes Creepers.

I made cool treats.

 Caramel Kisses (left over from my Stampin' Up! workshop)

 Plain Kisses (also left over from my workshop).

 Rolos for gold.

 Cookies and Cream Kisses (left over from my workshop the night before)

Licorice TNT.

And Creeper sodas!  So cute!  The best part is when you open them, they make the sound of that Creepers meet in the game!  It was really awesome.

Here's the table set up.

I asked Zach what he wanted to do for his party, and all he wanted to do was eat cake and ice cream, open presents, and play Minecraft.  How easy for me!  I told him he could only invite three friends because then everyone would get to play the whole time.  But really, I didn't think I could deal with more than that and get ready for a show at the same time.  I had to have the party at the same time that I would be putting in hot rollers and pinning up my hair, doing part of my make up, etc.

  He wanted a vanilla cake that I made into the cake you can make in Minecraft.  It looks like this.

Here's how the cake turned out:

I think it turned out really great!  I made a vanilla cake from a box and frosted the sides with chocolate frosting.  Then the top was frosted with vanilla frosting and I piped on red squares.  It tasted so yummy, too!

 Zach really liked the way it turned out, too.  I was trying to get a good picture of him, but his friends kept cracking him up.

Then he tried to blow out his candles by yelling, "Fos-ro-da!"  It's from Skyrim.  Which is also a game.  He likes to just shout that at random times and annoy his dad.

Chris, Zach's friend, told Kaleb to punch his cake, so he did.  And they were like, "No! In Minecraft, you can punch things from like twelve yards away!  We didn't mean for you to really punch it!"  Yeah.  That was awesome.  Luckily, he didn't punch it very hard.


No comments: