Monday, March 3, 2014

In Which Another Of the Plates I Was Given As A Wedding Gift Is Broken In Two

Last night, Zach came downstairs and announced, "I am not doing the dishes any more tonight!"
"What?  Why not?" Kurtis and I both asked him.
"Because I cut myself!"  This is a common occurrence and most of the time, his cuts are minor.  I rolled my eyes and turned around.
His hands were covered in blood.  "How did that happen?"
"I was washing a plate and I hit the side of the sink and it broke an cut me."
"Oh.  Well, go wash your hands.  You clearly need a band aid."  He went upstairs, but came back down still bleeding.  I went upstairs with him and cleaned up his wounds.  It looked like this:

 and this:

He cut his left ring finger, too.  But it cleaned up nicely and just needed a band aid.

As I was cleaning the cut on his right hand, I concluded that he probably would need stitches.  Because this is what I saw when it was cleaned up.  My stomach turned a little bit as I looked at it.  That's not normal.  That's how I knew it wasn't just another cut.  I showed it to Kurtis and said, "I think he might need stitches."

Here.  Let me gross you out some more.

 Here's a close up.  Zachary wanted me to post these on the internet.  So I did.

I didn't want to take him to the ER, but when I looked up Urgent Care places, they were all closed.  We had to go to the ER.  At the ER, we had to tell five different people what happened.  The triage nurse who took his blood pressure and vitals.  He looked at it and said, "Oh, they probably won't do stitches on that.  They'll probably just glue it."  Which made me think I had gone there for nothing.  Then the nurse who came to look at him before the doctor came in asked him what happened again.  This time, I wanted Zach to tell the story.  He just doesn't talk much.  So I tapped him on the knee and said, "Use your words."  I was teasing him.  But I was also serious.  He'd much rather I told the story, but I didn't really know exactly what happened as I wasn't there.
Then the doctor came in and asked what happened.  He looked at his hand and had him move his thumb in different ways.  He told me there are two tendons on either side of that cut that he could have cut, and that would have been bad.  They're really important for using your thumb.  Fortunately, he did not cut them.  He just cut in between them.  Whew!  That's good.  The doctor did end up using glue.  He said it would heal faster and prettier if we just used glue.  He cleaned the wound again, and glued him back together.  Then he glued on the tape that covered the glue.  He can get it wet (but not should not soak it in the bathtub or go swimming), and he can still play basketball.  Which made him very happy.  His church ball team is going to regionals.  He pretty excited about that.

All glued back together!

2 comments:

Michele said...

YIKES! Glad he's OK. Good luck to him and his team at regionals. That's awesome :-)

Unknown said...

I think the cut looked cool, and you can tell him I said that ;-) as long as it's not on me, I can handle that stuff!