Wednesday, March 5, 2014

In Which I Finally Tell You The Other Story I Was Going To Tell You

So I'm finally getting around to telling you the story I was going to tell you, but then I realized I should tell you something else first because they were kind of happening in the same time, but if I told you this thing without telling you the other thing first, then you would be like, wait.  What?  So here it is.
On February 4th, I had an audition for a play.  It was awesome.  I was so excited to be a part of the play and I was so certain that I did an amazing job and that I would definitely make callbacks.  Callbacks were on the 6th, so I figured I would get called on the 5th.  But I didn't hear anything.  And then I realized my period was late, and I was freaked out and thinking I didn't make callbacks, and I didn't get into the last two plays I had auditioned for.  I'm used to that, but the possibility of being pregnant, just was so emotionally shocking and devastating to me that I couldn't get out of bed the next morning.  I'm not even kidding.  I stayed in be until it was nearly 1:00 p.m.  It was 12:47 and I said to myself, "Alright, it's time to pick yourself up and get out of bed.  You probably aren't pregnant, and you will just move on to the next audition.  That's what this is all about.  You will get over this.  You always do."  Yeah.  That's basically my pep talk every time I don't get a part.  And that's probably not exactly what I said to myself, but it's close.
As I was finally dragging myself out of bed, the phone rang.  It was the director asking me to come back to callbacks.  And instantly, I felt better.  Would I have liked him to have called me the day before?  Yes.  But oh well.  I didn't have plans any way.
So I went to callbacks and I had a great time.  I did awesome again and I felt pretty confident that I would get a part.  The director said he would have the cast list up by Tuesday.  So I waited.  And I waited.  And Tuesday came and the director did call me, but he said, "I'm having a really difficult time figuring out the cast, so please just bare with me and I will let you know  I will try to let you know by Thursday."  Tuesday was the 11th.  Usually, that would be the first rehearsal which would usually consist of reading through the whole play, and getting organized and handing out a rehearsal schedule.  But I thought, okay.  I understand that.  All the people at callbacks were awesome and did really well.  I would probably have a hard time, too.  Thursday came and went with no call.  I figured I didn't get the part and I died my hair brown on Friday.  Not hearing anything is pretty typical and so I figured I could move on and move forward with my life and move on to the next audition.
Then, on the 16th of February, I got this text from him, "Hi Melissa.  This is ---------.  I just wanted you to know that I haven't forgotten about you.  I just haven't figured out exactly what I am doing with a couple of roles as I'm waiting to hear back from people who auditioned late."
I didn't really know how to respond to that.  I'm not even kidding.  That is really strange.  The show should have been cast and they should have been in rehearsals!  It also made me feel like I was being strung along and he was messing with me.  I mean really?  Why haven't you cast this play, yet and obviously, I'm not  your first choice for the role.
Then I hear nothing from him.  So on February 27th, I was texting with my bestest friend and I say, "...I can finally conclude that I didn't get the part."  Then literally forty-five minutes later, he calls me and he says, "I asked you to be patient with me and I really appreciate your patience.  But I want to offer you the part of Winnie."  I accepted the part.  And then he says, "And, I know it's such short notice, but can you come to rehearsal at 7:00 tonight?"  It was like 5:30 in the evening!  I was like, "Uuuuuh.  I was supposed to go to pack meeting tonight because my husband is the Cub Master.  I'll have to figure out what we are going to do because we only have one car."  Then he texts me and tells me I can come late because my character doesn't come on until later.  Which was fine.  I still had to miss pack meeting and leave before it even started.  I drove Kurtis to the church and helped him set up and ran home to get him the things he forgot.  Then I said good-bye and left.  I felt bad though because it was raining and he would have to walk home with the boys.  The had umbrellas though.  I'm really lucky to have such a supportive and flexible husband.  He's awesome.
I have never felt so strung along by a director before.  Ever.  This is unheard of.  I now understand why directors just don't even tell you if you didn't make it now.  Sometimes they will at least email you and tell you they are going in a different direction.  That's nice.  Most of the time the phone just doesn't ring at all.
When they gave me my script, it was already marked and highlighted.  Either someone highlighted my lines for me (which I hate), or another person had been cast, accepted and then dropped out.  It's actually pretty uncommon for a director to highlight lines for an actor, so it was more likely the latter.  But I felt really strange and nobody seemed to want to talk about it at rehearsal.
Then I was in a sarcastic mood and posted that I really hated it when people highlight my lines for me and that it was totally messing up my memorizing. It isn't.  Then my friend told me she highlighted them, and I knew.  I really felt the director lied to me by omission.  I would have rather he said, "I had a cast member drop out.  Are you still available?"  I mean, it felt like he basically just expected me to be sitting by the phone waiting for him to call me to be in the play.  If I did that, I would be pretty dusty and stiff right now.  Geesh.
I want to say this:  To me, as an actor, it is the director's job to create an atmosphere of trust on the set of a film or play so that the actor can be free to do their job the best way possible.  Stringing people along, really isn't the best way to gain that trust.
It's all water and bridges now, though.  For the most part.  He seems nice.  I doubt it was his intention to string me along.  He's a little nervous and likes to tell you how to say your lines, but I can deal with that.  Rehearsals are going well.  I love my fellow cast members and I love my character.  She's a lot of fun.  I get to play a jealous wife.  This play is hilarious, and I am going to have an amazing time.  I'll have to blog about it.  With pictures.  :)

No comments: