Wednesday, June 29, 2011

It's the Little Things That Get to Me

The other night, Kurtis and I watched the movie Killers with Katherine Heigl and Ashton Kutcher.  I thought it was a fun movie, with car chases and romance and things going boom.  I liked the story.  But something has been bothering me since watching it.  I figured it out while I was taking a shower yesterday, and I just have to tell somebody even if that somebody is the internet because if I say this to Kurtis, he will tell me I didn't watch it so I could analyze it to death.  Neither did I, but I am an actress.  The problem I have with this movie is that I didn't believe Spencer was in love with Jen.  Ashton Kutcher's range of emotion is pretty vague.  He doesn't even do angry believably.  He skims the surface of the emotions, but never digs deep into them, to find the place where they can become real.  As an actress, I would find this incredibly difficult to work with, and I wonder if Ms. Heigl did too.  I just can't help it.  This was a funny movie, and it had a lot of potential.  The story also moved a little too quickly and felt a little dumbed down.  It wasn't exactly complicated.  It didn't leave any questions unanswered, and everything was tied up in a nice little bow when it was over.  It was fluffy, and sometimes that's what you are in the mood for, but can I please have my fluff filled with actors who want to be actors?  Sometimes it just feels like he is tired of the business, and it shows.  Oh, and I'm not sure why they used the song "Just Say Yes" by Snow Patrol for their falling in love montage.  That song is about a guy trying to get his girlfriend not to leave.  She wasn't going anywhere.  I love that song, but it didn't really go there.

1 comment:

PT said...

Totally agree with you...the chemistry was off. For me Heigl and Catherine O'Hara made the movie fun with the comedy moments. It was fluff and enjoyable but was lacking something..it didnt fit together and the end was a bit weak and sudden.