Saturday, June 18, 2011

I'm Gonna Drive and Never Ever Slow Down

Saturday, June 11, 2011:
   We loaded up my mom's mini van and took off on our vacation today.  I am so excited to go visit my sister!  We will be driving through Wyoming, Nebraska, and part of Iowa on our way to her house.  We get to spend a whole week with her and her family!  On our way back, we will be coming home a different way.  We are going to go through South Dakota to visit Mount Rushmore and some other stops along the way.  I am so excited.  I've never been to Nebraska or Iowa.  Last time I went to Minnesota I went with Zachary and we flew on an airplane.  That was four years ago.  This will be Kurtis and Riley's first time there.  Kaleb came with me when Ana got baptized six years ago, but he was six months old, so he doesn't remember.
   Wyoming is prettier than I thought it would be.  I always thought it was a bunch of sage brush.  The closer to Utah you are, the more sage brush there is, but once you get further out, there are green hills and it's very pretty.  Lots of cattle as well.
   Nebraska is a place I had never been before, but had heard was a whole lot of nothing.  Well, it's not nothing.  It's a lot of farm land that all looks the same, but it's really pretty and green, too.  So I wouldn't say a whole lot of nothing.  Just a whole lot of farm land and sameness.  But then it got dark, and I couldn't see anything at all, so that broke up the monotony.
  Kurtis wanted to just keep driving all night long and get to Michele's at seven in the morning.  Michele didn't want us to do that, and I didn't really want us to do that.  We almost stopped at a rest stop to sleep, but Kaleb started to freak out that his legs were hurting so I said that we would spring for the hotel after all.  I'm really glad we did. I'm really tired, and I don't want to sleep in my car.
 Riley at our first stop in Wyoming.  They are still pretty excited to be traveling.

 Going through a tunnel!

 A spider at the rest stop where we stopped for lunch.  Zach and Riley were pretty insistent that I take a picture of it.

 Prairie Dogs!  They were everywhere at this rest stop. :)  Cool.

 Riley at the sign at our lunch stop.

 The hills of Wyoming.

 More hills.  Also, there were these fence thingies every where along the freeway, but we can't figure out what purpose they serve.

 These rocks are awesome!

 Zach is getting tired.  Riley is asleep.  Kaleb is playing his DS.

 Nebraska!

 We stopped at a really tiny, tiny town called Dix so Riley could go to the bathroom.  There was nobody there at the gas station.  Just signs that said, "Please shut the door tight when you leave!"  How friendly.

 Just a cool howling wolf along the side of the road.

 We stopped for dinner and Kaleb did a dance.

The rest stop in Nebraska was pretty nice.  There was a trail we could hike up, but Kurtis wouldn't let us because he saw a sign that said there were rattlesnakes.  I thought it was too cold for them to be out, but we still didn't do it.  We just decided to keep going instead.
 

2 comments:

Michele said...

You are awesome- I can't believe you blogged all this already. I'm working on it.

sweetlissybug said...

Well, I did start while I was at your house, so I had a head start! :) Then, when you are sitting in a hotel room with not much to do because you accidentally left your swimming suit at home, and it is an outdoor pool and raining... Let's just say, I had some time on my hands. ;)