Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Of All The Dreams, Is This One Still Out of Reach

We are officially back home, and I feel so happy to be here.  But I loved, loved, loved not being here!  Vacations are so awesome that way.  You get tired of where you live, so you have to go visit somewhere else and you have the most amazing time.  But when you get home, you are just content and it is okay to be normal again, and sleep in your own bed instead of an air mattress or hotel bed.
Yesterday, was so amazing!  I loved Mt. Rushmore!  Honestly, I thought it would be bigger, but I was still just so happy to be there that I didn't care!  The kids loved the gift shop and threw the best tantrum for not being able to get whatever they wanted.  Especially Kaleb.  Kurtis gave them a really awesome lecture when we got back to the car, that I really wish I had on tape.  But I was driving.  I love getting pictures of my kids pouting and crying.  I think it is hilarious.  Does that make me a bad mom?  I don't think so.  I just can't believe the things that make them cry.  Not getting a dessert.  Not getting another stuffed animal to add to their ginormous collection of stuffed animals.  I'm sure I was the same way, but my world is a little bit bigger now.  At the same time, though.  I do not like it.  Because I know how it feels to not get what you want, and that is not a good feeling.
Anyway, blah, blah.  I've spoiled my kids.  Get over it.  After Mt. Rushmore, we went to see the Crazy Horse monument.  It's not finished.  Hold on let me Google it.  Well, never mind.  There is no projected finish date because there are too many factors of why it isn't finished yet.  It was started in 1947, though.  I might be dead before they finish it.  It's going to be really huge, and really cool when it is done, though.  I hope they can finish it before I am too old and decrepit to travel.  I also learned that the Black Hills are sacred to Native Americans.  That is awesome.  It's one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen.  I really loved South Dakota.  It's quite diverse.  Well, at least the southern part is.  I did drive through the entire southern part of the state.  Kurtis promised me we would go back and go camping in the Badlands. Because I wanted to take the scenic drive through, but Kurtis wanted to hurry up and get to the hotel.  It was getting late, and we were all hungry, so I'm glad we did.  Well, my practical side is any way.  My adventuring side said, "We have to!  Wait, no!  Why did you just pass the turn off?  What's the matter with you!?  Don't you know you probably won't be back here for years!?"
 Yep.  Raining!  It rained in every state we were in while we were in it! :)

 The guy who carved Mt. Rushmore.

 The walk of states. I don't remember what it is really called, but that sounds good.

 I can't wait to watch the video he shot of my stomach.  It's way too big right now.

 Some nice lady asked me to take a picture of her and her family, and she took a picture of us in return!  Now, I have proof that I was there!  We both agreed that are always the ones taking pictures and are never in any of them! :D

 Theodore Roosevelt.  26th President of the United States of America.

 He was totally posing.  He said, "Hey, Mom!  Take a picture of me like this!"
So I did.

 Seeing this made me incredibly happy.

 I love these words.

 Crazy Horse.

 My kids dug this place.

 Riley kept getting on the platform, and making me yell, "Get off there!  You aren't supposed to stand on that!"

Old time post office.

3 comments:

Michele said...

Your boys look great in those matching sweaters ;) Heehee- looks like you needed them. I'm so glad you had fun at Mt. Rushmore. We need to go there again- maybe we can have a family reunion and meet there sometime.

sweetlissybug said...

I second that motion! :D

Des said...

What a fun vacation! Mt. Rushmore is on my list of places to go. Someday...